Thursday, February 17, 2011

Jeopardy, Watson, Computers and Life...

So it was interesting; the big "virtual Jeopardy player" experiment. I kind of knew the computer would win; cuz... the computer is not really playing. It has a little help from the engineers that programmed it. Hence my current view here. People (so called pundits) keep talking about all the great things this new advanced technology will bring us. They cite examples in medical science, social services, business, banking and so on. What a bunch of Jackasses! It's an amusing tool that's all and an amusing tool is not going to bring more "well being" to society. Who are these Jackasses that think this. Do they not have any education in history whatsoever. Can they not see the "big picture". Technology does not bring well being, health and happiness. Mankind has had more chaos, dysfunction and grief, since the advent of technology than all the previous millenniums that came before. I enjoy my car and having a car but I also enjoy walking and if given the choice between having a car or being able to walk; it's no contest, it's a "no brainer". I enjoy writing this online blog but I also enjoy reading library books and writing long hand with a pencil or pen and if giving the choice between online text documents or books; what do you think I would choose. Man's technology cannot cure cancer but a lot of exercise and a pure diet free from toxic elements can preclude the majority of cancers. I like having modern utilities in my house but yet I think the best years of my life were probably when I lived in a "waterless" cabin with only a wood burning stove and had to chop fire wood and get my own water. I like having a cell phone and emailing people but more and more I would just prefer to meet people in person and talk to them face to face. I don't use commercial air travel because I refuse to put my dog Fred in the cargo section of a plane so I just drive an old car everywhere and I see a lot of damn interesting things on the highways and bi ways as I go about and I still get there soon enough; hey! it's faster than a horse and buggy! Granted an old car is still "technology" but it's less technology than a supersonic jet. My ultimate point of course is that there's nothing wrong with a little technology but at this point; at this juncture in history I really believe that less is more. People who think that technology will solve societies' ills are sorely mistaken and misled. Unfortunately; that represents the majority of people. People are diving headlong into the delusion of technological bliss and comfort level oblivion. So be it. I guess even I could be partly guilty of this myself but at least I'm not diving in headlong but rather; considering, contemplating and testing the waters first.

Porcupine Smith

1 comment:

  1. I'm posting a comment on my own blog here only to see if it accepts comments because some readers have told me that they posted yet I see no comments? So I don't know why that is but I want to see If I am able to post.

    ReplyDelete